Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Modesty

"In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; but (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works."-1 Timothy 2:9-10

"Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also many without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; while they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.  Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; but let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price."-1 Peter 3:1-4

"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD they God."-Deuteronomy 22:5

We are called to modesty, we are called to a standard as daughters of God.  Jesus has clearly wiped out the law for those who believe because of His grace.  He has come not to take away the law but to fulfill the law.  But this does not mean that we just ignore when God says something is an abomination.  We don't live by the law in the Old Testament, BUT looking at the law shows us more of God's heart, because the law is perfect.  God shows us those things that He hates and those things that He loves by giving us example and command in the Old Testament.  And in this He showed his heart to us.  This does not mean that we just "by grace" have no standard and do whatever we want to.  Our standard is love.  All the commands can be summed up in loving the Lord our God with all that we have and loving our neighbor.  This is our standard.  Our standard is the Word of God.  Without the Spirit though it will just be a legalistic rule or regulation that you would conform outward man to which is void.  There is no inward transformation in this.  Unless it is the Spirit in you making all things new, bringing you out of the world to stop conforming to the world but transforming you inside out by His Word it is of no value.  

Are we doing the world a favor by proclaiming Christ and dressing inappropriately?  Are we "being all things to all men" by dressing in a way to provoke jealously as well as stumble men.  I don't think so!  I think this is an excuse to be just like the world and not be held accountable in our conduct.  Is it helping anyone by accentuating different body parts with our clothing, by wearing tight things?  Or is it conforming to the world?  Now I am not saying that you need to wear prairie dresses and bonnets, though some do prefer this, which is fine.  But I am saying that there is a way in which I think Christ would be pleased and a way in which I think He is grieved when it comes to the way we dress.  What is your motive when you get dressed in the morning, believer?  Is it to draw attention to certain parts of your body, is it to draw attention to jewelry that you wear that makes you look richer or fancier, is it to make other women jealous, or to be blunt is it to get attention from men, does this make you feel better about yourself?  If it is then I can assure you this is not pleasing to God in the least.  It is grieving to His Spirit.  

There might be the argument of, well, we cannot make modest dress a standard because Timothy became circumcised to be all things to all men so we must do the same.  Yes, Timothy became circumcised when he was already righteous by faith.  BUT circumcision is something that GOD commanded in the Old Testament, this was good.  No, you do not have to be circumcised to be saved, of course not.  But it was something holy that God commanded in the past.  Circumcision is not a sin nor is it conforming to the world.  By compromising in what you wear, to compromise in modesty for the same argument to be all things to all men is wrong.  It is sin.  Timothy getting circumcised would be more equally compared to today as believers going to tell the Gospel to a people who are very overly modestly dressed, to where their whole body is covered head to toe, and in doing you wear the same kind of clothing covering you head to toe as well.  In their culture this is modesty.  So you would not go in shorts and a tank top to share the gospel with people who are used to a very high degree of modest dress, because you would offend them before you had the chance to say a word.  This is more comparable to being all things to all men I think.     

Out of conviction of the Spirit, love for my brothers and the lost, and directly out of the Scripture God has been showing me a lot about this.  About modesty.  I had come to a realization of my wickedness when it comes to dress and many other things for that matter.  I have allowed myself to be leavened, my conscience to be numbed rather than to examine these things and allow God to speak and convict.  Until now.  When it comes to this specific thing, God has shown me my sinfulness and evil heart, and I have repented with joy and am now pressing forward to be more pleasing to God in what I wear.  I have decided to follow Jesus in what I clothe myself with.  It wasn't a grudgingly unpleasant standard that He is making me live up to.  Quite the contrary.  It isn't a rule or regulation He is putting on me.  Instead I am excited that He showed me this truth and the way in which to walk.  That He is cleansing me inside and out.  I am filled with joy and more than pleased to walk in what He has shown me.  This brings me great joy.  He is faithful.  Seek Him.          

No comments:

Post a Comment